Built in 1935, City of Topeka Fire Station #6 is the second oldest fire station in Topeka and an integral part of the Oakland community. When the road near fire station #6 was redone, the fire hydrant was put out of commission and replaced. The firefighters saw this as an opportunity to honor the Oakland neighborhood and local artist Andy Valdivia painted the decommissioned hydrant to reflect the cultural heritage in Oakland.
The fire hydrant will be unveiled to the public Saturday, January 26 at noon at Fire Station #6.
ABOUT THE ARTIST: Topeka native Andy Valdivia painted the massive mural in the stairway between the two floors of the Marlo Cuevas-Balandran Activity Center. The mural depicted the parish history of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. Additionally he helped create a large mural in the basement titled “Our History.” Andy earned a bachelors in fine arts from Washburn University, a masters in drawing and painting from Kansas State and taught for over 20 years.